Our group is interested in mechanisms of epigenetic regulation in EB. We strive to deepen our understanding of cellular processes promoting the development of a particularly aggressive form of squamous cell carcinoma affecting our patients.
In particular, we are interested in short non-coding RNAs (miRNAs) that are deregulated in RDEB. We aim to identify such miRNAs that have the potential to serve as biomarkers, or that can be used as therapeutic targets. Our goal is to demonstrate an association of de-regulated miRNAs and an aggressive phenotype of cancer cells via functional assays. On the long term, we strive to translate our improved understanding of pathomechanisms into new therapeutic options based on small molecules.
In my spare time I love to be in the mountains.
Curriculum Vitae Monika Wimmer
Scientific Associate at the EB House Austria, Working Group Wally
2016 - 2020
PhD studies natural sciences, Molecular Biology, Paris Lodron University Salzburg
Working title: “Identifying miRNA key players shaping epidermolysis bullosa”
FWF Research project: P 29343-B30, project leader: Assoc.-Prof. Verena Wally, PhD
Supervisor: Univ.-Prof. Prim. Dr. Johann Bauer, MBA; Assoc.-Prof. Verena Wally, PhD; ao.Univ.-Prof. Dr. Hannelore Breitenbach-Koller
Master studies of Molecular Biology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Salzburg and Johannes Kepler University of Linz
Working title: Post-transcriptional regulation as a disease modifier in recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa
Supervisor: Univ.-Prof. Prim. Dr. Johann Bauer, MBA, Dr. Verena Wally
Bachelor studies of Molecular Biology, Faculty of Natural Sciences, University of Salzburg and Johannes Kepler University of Linz
International Research Experience
Garvan Institut, Institute of Neuroscience / Sydney, Australia
Awards and Fellowships
2014 Abroad Fellowship - Paris Lodron University Salzburg
2013 Excellence Scholarship - Paris Lodron University Salzburg
Additional Qualifications and Trainings
2017 Workshop - Electron Microscope Techniques at the Paris Lodron University Salzburg
2017 Laboratory Animal Science - Basic Course Kurs, Central Animal Laboratories of the Paris Lodron University Salzburg
- Ablinger M, Lettner T, Friedl N, Potocki H, Palmetzhofer T, Koller U, Illmer J, Liemberger B, Hainzl S, Klausegger A, Reisenberger M, Lambert J, Van Gele M, Desmet E, Van Maelsaeke E, Wimmer M, Zauner R, Bauer JW, Wally V. Personalized Development of Antisense Oligonucleotides for Exon Skipping Restores Type XVII Collagen Expression in Junctional Epidermolysis Bullosa. 2021;22:3326.
- Wimmer M, Zauner R, Ablinger M, Piñón-Hofbauer J, Guttmann-Gruber C, Reisenberger M, Lettner T, Niklas N, Proell J, Sajinovic M, De Souza P, Hainzl S, Kocher T, Murauer EM, Bauer JW, Strunk D, Reichelt J, Mellick AS, Wally V. A cancer stem cell-like phenotype is associated with miR-10b expression in aggressive squamous cell carcinomas. Cell Commun Signal 2020;18:61
- Sun Y, Woess K, Kienzl M, Leb-Reichl VM, Feinle A, Wimmer M, Zauner R, Wally V, Luetz-Meindl U, Mellerio JE, Fuentes I, South AP, Bauer JW, Reichelt J, Furihata T, Guttmann-Gruber C, and Piñón Hofbauer J. Extracellular vesicles as biomarkers for the detection of epidermolysis bullosa-associated squamous cell carcinoma. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 2017;137(10).
- Stoehr LC, Madl P, Boyles MSP, Zauner R, Wimmer M, Wiegand H, Andosch A, Kasper G, Pesch M, Lütz-Meindl U, Hily M, Duschl A. Enhanced Deposition by Electrostatic Field-Assistance Aggravating Diesel Exhaust Aerosol Toxicity for Human Lung Cells. Environmental Science & Technology 2015;49(14):8721-30.
- Ablinger M, Wally V, Zauner R, Wimmer M. Erforschung von miRNAs bei aggressiven Plattenepithelkarzinomen. Spectrum Dermatologie 2021;01:21-5.