I am interested in the development of effective therapeutic approaches to improve wound healing in patients with RDEB to further reduce the risk of an aggressive and life-threatening cutaneous squamous cell carcinomas at sites of chronic and long-term skin wounds.
As such I am involved in a clinical study that focuses on the evaluation of drugs with known wound healing and anti-neoplastic properties, such as the vitamin D analog calcipotriol.
In addition we want to determine the impact of calcipotriol on the process of microbial colonization as well as the effects on itch and pain. Additionally, I establish organotypic 3D models to analyze the influence of new therapeutics on wound healing and tumor formation.
I am passionate about sport. While out on a run, hike, or ski tour, I am able to tune out, relax, and recharge my batteries.
Curriculum Vitae Birgit Tockner
Research Associate research group Cancer & Wound Healing
PhD, Paris Lodron University Salzburg
"Optimization of 3'-trans-splicing in the type VII collagen gene - Development of a therapy in epidermolysis bullosa dystrophica"
Research group: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Johann W. Bauer (EB House Austria)
MSc in Genetics and Biotechnology, Paris Lodron University Salzburg
"Different modulation of blood flow in the ciliary body and the choroid with adenosine"
Research group: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Herbert Reitsamer (University Eye Clinic, Salzburg)
BSc in Genetics and Molecular Biology, Paris Lodron University Salzburg
Biomedical analysts degree, Academy for the Medical Technical Laboratory Service of the University Hospital Salzburg
2010, 2012 FACS training, Werfen Austria, Beckman Coulter FC500
2017 Laboratory Animal Science Basic Course, Salzburg
- Fuentes I, Guttmann-Gruber C, Tockner B, Diem A, Klausegger A, Cofré-Araneda G, Figuera O, Hidalgo Y, Morandé P, Palisson F, Rebolledo-Jaramillo B, Yubero MJ, Cho RJ, Rishel HI, Marinkovich MP, Teng JMC, Webster TG, Prisco M, Eraso LH, Piñon Hofbauer J, South AP. Cells from discarded dressings differentiate chronic from acute wounds in patients with Epidermolysis Bullosa. Scientific reports 2020;10:15064.
- Tockner B, Kocher T, Hainzl S et al. Construction and validation of an RNA trans-splicing molecule suitable to repair a large number of COL7A1 mutations. Gene Ther 2016; 23(11):775-784.
- Bogner B, Runge C, Strohmaier C et al. The effect of vasopressin on ciliary blood flow and aqueous flow. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014;55(1):396-403.
- Bogner B, Tockner B, Runge C et al. The effect of vasopressin on choroidal blood flow, intraocular pressure, and orbital venous pressure in rabbits. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2011; 52(10):7134-7140.
- Reitsamer HA, Bogner B, Tockner B, Kiel JW. Effects of dorzolamide on choroidal blood flow, ciliary blood flow, and aqueous production in rabbits. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2009; 50(5):2301-2307.
- Guttmann-Gruber C, Tockner B, Scharler C, Hüttner C, Common JE, Tay ASL, Denil SLIJ, Klausegger A, Trost A, Breitenbach J, Schnitzhofer P, Hofbauer JP, Wolkersdorfer M, Diem A, Laimer M, Strunk D, Bauer JW, Reichelt J, Lang R, Pinon Hofbauer J. VD3-Analog Calcipotriol verbessert Wundheilungsprozess. Spectrum Dermatologie 2019;02/2019.